PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Proposed QF Group Pilot Seniority
Old 10th Feb 2011, 06:40
balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you guys in Jetstar feeling secure? I probably wouldn't if I were you. From the Manila Standard (and taken from another BB - regards to the poster on that BB):

Jestar to transfer 400 airline jobs to PH
by Jeremiah F. de Guzman

Australian budget carrier Jetstar Airways will transfer over 400 airline jobs to the Philippines and plans to launch flights to popular local tourist spots such as Boracay and Cebu.

“The Philippines is a strong Asian market. Traffic is high due to Filipino workers outside the country,” Jetstar Group chief executive Bruce Buchanan told reporters in an interview Wednesday.

“We are always up for more space in the market place, maybe 5 to 10 percent. We are always looking for opportunities to boot up network presence in the market,” he said. “We are growing in excess of 200 percent in revenues from [flights originating in] the Philippines for the last 12 months. A sign of how popular the services are,” Buchanan said.

He said the government’s plan to endorse an open skies policy and efforts to privatize airports drove the carrier to expand its operations in the country.

“I think that is going to be very beneficial to the tourism in the Philippines and for the whole economy. As the market liberalizes, more competition will come in the marketplace,” Buchanan said.

He said Jetstar was considering flights to airports outside Manila, specially Caticlan Airport in Aklan and Mactan Airport in Cebu.

“Most are very excited about Caticlan because part of the airport is being upgraded to be of full service in the next few years. Cebu is also quite attractive due to a number of tourist destinations in the area,” Buchanan said. “We are very positive and supportive on government’s deregulation and privatization plans.”

Meanwhile, Buchanan said over 400 airline jobs would be brought to the Philippines, consisting mainly of call center and technical tasks from Australia.
This is like a plague. Unless we stand together now, we are all stuffed. Not just pilots; I'm talking engineers, F/A's, ground staff. Everyone.