PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hopeless at landings
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2002, 12:50
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChiSau,

You say you've only spent 1 hour in the circuit. It is certainly not normal to feel confident after just 1 hour in the circuit - most people I've spoken to seem take a very minimum of about 5, and that really is a minimum! (Of course, there'll always be one or two who do it faster than everyone else...)

Am I right in thinking that your instructor thinks the cross-wind is too much for you to handle, although he's happy to fly in it himself? And therefore you're still getting lessons in, but he's introducing other parts of the syllabus while the wind is not suitable for working on circuits? That sounds perfectly accepable to me. Of course, you'll want to get some serious cross-wind practice in once you've mastered landing without too much cross-wind. But you certainly don't want to start out like that - it's hard enough without having other obstacles thrown in your path! (But once you want a cross-wind to practice in, you won't get a windy day for months!)

As poetpilot says, you should mention concerns to your instructor (or to the school's chief instructor if you don't like your instructor's answer). But it sounds to me like you're progressing pretty well, but being unlucky with the weather. If that's the case, you'd better get used to it - it's a regular part of PPL flying in the UK!

FFF
---------------