PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:05
adminblunty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've a previous role I worked with 7 unions recognised by my then employer. My current employer recognises 3 different ones. I've worked with reps from the 10 and I've never, repeat never seen such a poor relationship between management and a Union. It really doesn't help that WW and DH are villified and demonised, whilst this continues there will be no mutually positive outcome to this dispute. I've read this thread and never posted, however I've discussed it with fellow HR managers, ACAS staff and a PCS Union rep. We've all shook our heads in disbelief at the poor way this has been handled by BASSA i.e. ripping up the facilities agreement, not turning up for work, Membership lists not being updated, poorly exceuted ballots, potentially unprotected IA, etc etc and generally it appears not being willing to work towards mutuality (win-win). I'm not taking sides merely commenting, however BA defintely have the upper hand and if they lose I'll be utterly amazed.

On the DH employment tribunal, I've had some legal training and I'm not aware of one case where a Employment Tribunal, Employment Appeal Tribunal or CA has ruled that a dismissed employee should be re-employed. However if its correct that BASSA will keep DH as their leader until all legal avenues are exhausted, then expect the case to go from ET to EAT, to the Court of Appeal to the ECHR, in which case he'll be Branch Secretary for some considerable time.... Even if the ET finds he was unlawfully dismissed compensation payments are capped at an ET/EAT at around £65K, unless a claim for discrimination has been made. So if DH wins BA won't have to re-employ him, however potentially they'll have to pay out up to £65K, it might be worth them losing the ET on a technicality and paying out up to 65K just to conclude the case and therefore potentially remove him as Branch Sec.

All in all it does not look good for BASSA or BA