PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 9th Feb 2011, 08:44
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps someone needs to point out that, at the end of the day, BA are protecting both those who could have been misled by their Union into taking catastrophic unprotected industrial action and their parent Union who, at worst, could have been liable for loss of earnings and costs to BA.

In some respects BA are doing Unites job in ensuring that a Ballot is achieved coreectly and thus protects workers. Len seems to think that BA is 'bullying' but, if the ballot was so full of holes, then Unite would have been negligent in alowing its members to take action that would have almost certainly cost them their jobs. Len would be fineon his £90,000 plus though. The loss of a few members subscriptions could be found elsewhere I'm sure.

As to languages, I seem to remember that CC got paid extra for each language so the 'pay back' for that was achieved. Its also not so unusal to speak another language, I speak three, two fluently and one to a high standard but not quite fluent. My better half speaks five fluently and another 3 to a very high standard. What difference does that make? None.

If a job becomes a career is dependant upon the employer in many respects. If the employer sees that low cost, high turnover is more viable than retention, retraining, pension and benefits then the position goes from one of a long term career to a job with a high personell turnover. It could, in all possiblities, occur to any department within BA.

No-one has tried to take the CC jobs or even their money. The company wanted rationalisation and cost savings. The head of IFcE was well aware of the rumblings of columbus and was prepared to shelve it in exchange for lucid, sensible negotiated cost savings. BASSA refused to negotiate, they refused to sit in one room and talk, they refused to sit in a room with your fellow colleagues Union members, they refused to discuss Mixed Fleet, they refused to see the confidential figures, they refused to believe the finacial position of the company, they refused to believe a fully independant fincial assessment. You want someone to blame? Blame your BASSA board who have done the only thing they kow how to do. Scream no until IA and then get what they want. Only this time it hasn't worked.