PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Australia on a UK PPL
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 08:30
TooL8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through the whole frustrating experience in 2009/10! UK PPL looking for a permit to fly in Aus.

Aggrh. Reached the point where my proof of English language proficiency (ELP) was the determined by fact that i) I could use profanity in both sarcastic and ironic forms - 'say again', and ii) deliver blistering rebukes without resort to nationalistic stereotypes! - 'say again Bruce'

Here's the RIDICULOUS problem.

My CFI signed the bit of paper that proves to the CAA that I have ELP level 6 (if you haven't done this, and assuming you are a native English language speaker, dload the form from the CAA website and get your CFI to sign).

The CAA database clearly showed that I ad ELP6, a phone call to the CAA licensing people confirmed this.

CASA will NOT begin to process your application unless your license shows you have ELP6. The LICENSE does NOT show this, only the database.

Easy, I've signed the paperwork (and paid the money!!) to allow the CAA to divulge personal information to other aviation authorities upon request. OK CASA, request from the CAA the fact that I have ELP6. 'Simples'

CASA: 'Sorry POM we cannot BEGIN to process your application without proof of ELP6. To request this information from the CAA would mean we would have to BEGIN to process your application.

STALEMATE

ANSWER: Phone and write to the CAA and asked very politely for someone to write you a letter on CAA headed paper which you can send to to CASA. (remember, an overworked and underpaid employee is doing you a favor at this point, so be polite and VERY thankful). Prepare for a 'fight' with CASA as to authenticity of this document if scanned and emailed. My recommendation; scan it, email it, fax it and send it recorded delivery.

Befriend someone at CASA (Kathy was my friend and ally even though she had the power to say NO). Phone them, their number is on the website. 11pm UK time is their morning so prepare to stay up late and discuss (calmly) why you think they should accept your CAA letter.

Assuming you can form some rapport with the CASA team, they may breach their protocols and BEGIN to process your application and contact the CAA to get your ELP status confirmed. As soon as this is done, it's plain sailing, that is assuming you have all your log books and license copies stamped by and AME or Notary .. but that's another story.

Postscript:

Come on CAA and CASA! - this is madness. Get a conference call organised and sort this out.

It was worth it! - we flew from Wangaratta to Ayers Rock via the fabulous William Creek (Trevor at WrightAir you're a legend in your own time and the 'Pub' should be Conde Nast)

Tool8