PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyMap Planning Software
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 15:41
The Dead Side

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with toptobottom entirely, with danger of repeating.... The Flymap software was sent with the F7 unit, and has proven extremely beneficial. Don't get me wrong, you can produce the same result by using the unit alone (i.e. flight planning and leg times etc.) however the extras such as NOTAMS and wx require the program to be uploaded to the unit.

Seeing altitude constraints and any possible airspace infringments, graphically, is super. As well as the computer generated documents and even flightplan form. The charts for the airfields are good when loaded onto the Flymap unit, however I haven't bought the geo-referenced ones yet as I usually stick to the smaller field strips anyway.

Not only useful for planning, but the Flymap software always seems more convinient to load up instead of unfolding a gargantuan piece of paper!

Only downside to the whole flymap operation is that one can very easily become reliable on tech to navigate. I constantly tell myself there is no subsitute to pen, paper and a wheel!

Dead Side.