PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP & north pole
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2011, 06:27
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair, there is nothing wrong with having dreams. We used to call my brother's kitchen table the "dream table" as we'd often sit around and talk about doing things like this. His was to sail across the Atlantic, so he did, in a 45' yacht and ended up in St Lucia.

I posted a while back on the other Forum about flying South into West Africa, which I'd love to do (Africa can be a real s*ithole but has a strange attraction to it)...However after taking advice from many people with far more experience than I decided the logistics were too much of a nightmare and too costly in an Avgas powered aeroplane and so can't be bothered. I'd do it in a DA42 though due to the availability of JET-A.

People often cite Insurance as a reason not to do something. Well a friend of mine ferried a Diamond DA40 to Australia, from California (actually Florida originally) and this included direct from California to Hawaii (17 hrs non stop), followed by 1200nm legas over the South Pacific. It took them about 5 days I think and the insurance loading was in the couple of thousand $ range, so not horrific.

A friend of mine just drove his Porsche 911 from London to Saigon, and he wants to redo the trip in a year or two by air (he's a pilot too)...so I'd be up for that in my aeroplane. There is a Gardan Horizon at our airfield which flew UK to Australia some years ago.

Good luck!