PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP & north pole
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 18:00
Katamarino

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The world is full of people like SoCal App, who might think that the trip over to Catalina for a Bison Burger is the most terribly exciting flying, and like to rubbish anyone who has a little more imagination.

Luckily, there are people (such as Timothy Nathan, or Polly Vacher) who also thought at one point "I'd love to fly my GA aircraft over the North Pole", and went out and did it. No doubt they had a lot of people like SoCal App rubishing their plans, and I'm very thankful that they ignored them.

Let's face it, the flying itself is easy. None of us here can pretend that flying a GA aircraft, especially after you've been doing it for 150 hours or more, is hard. So it all comes down to planning and organisation, and you don't have to be a grizzled pilot for that; I'm sure there are airline pilots with tens of thousands of hours who couldn't find their way out of a cardboard box without their ops department.

When I had 150 hours, I decided to rent a Cessna 172 for 5 weeks and fly from Florida to California and back. Not as adventurous as the flight mentioned here, but I still got plenty of "the usual crowd" telling me I was an idiot, and needed at least 500 hours and an IR. Thankfully I ignored them, and had an excellent time...

There are some people on here who really get off on trying to keep others down. Thankfully, you soon spot them and learn to disregard their "wisdom"! Happily, some of the more valuable contributors filled out page one.

I have no interest in the North Pole, but I'll certainly fly round the world some day, and to South Africa. If that offends you; tough! I'm doing it anyway! It's not like it hasn't been done 100 times before.