PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL- Spin Training
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 23:07
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Abbey Road
Not true. I have had students unintentionally end up in spins by pulling too hard into avoidance turns - too much a G and 'flick', she departs controlled flight! No aerobatics involved. Full spin recovery required, though, due to the startled reaction of said studes.
What you described is what happens when the student doesn't have an instinctive reaction to use full rudder opposite the initial yaw as soon as the aircraft starts to flick followed by forward stick. Developing that instinctive reaction is what incipient spins training is all about. I found an effective way to do that is doing lots of practice stalls while banked, cross controlled and with power on. The student quickly sees that no matter how fast the aircraft lurches one way or the other, controlled flight can be very quickly regained.

I would also note that, at least for small civil types, inadvertant spins don't happen in avoidance maneuvers, they happen when the aircraft is mis-handled in the circuit. If the aircraft is allowed to enter a spin at circuit height it doesn't matter now well the pilot can recover from a spin the aircraft is going to hit the ground before a recovery can be effected.

In any case if you want to rant about airplane drivers vs pilots the number one failing in todays new pilots is not a lack of spin profficency, it is the ball is never in the centre

I think I have monopolized this thread long enough so I will step aside and allow others to comment