PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL- Spin Training
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 14:59
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
I teach lots of spins...as part of a formal aerobatics program (I have a Canadian aerobatic instructor rating). Spins are important in aerobatics both because it is an aerobatic maneuver in its own right and because if you screw up many of the other aerobatic maneuvers you will probably end up in a spin.

However when I am teaching for the PPL the whole point of spin training is to avoid having the aircraft enter a spin in the first place and if it does depart at the stall to stop the aircraft from continuing towards a spin entry spin by controlling the yaw. I want my students to instinctively use the rudder to stop any developing yaw as the lower the nose to unstall the aircraft. If this is done the aircraft can never enter a spin, therefore I see no purpose in teaching a student how to recover from a spin. I will however demonstrate one two turn spin only to show them what happens if you don't get on the rudder early. I will also not teach spin entries, instead I teach the full variety stall entries including those which are likely to depart into a spin (eg power on climbing turn stalls). Personally I do not think anyone should be playing with spins unless they have had aerobatic training.