PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prior Permission Required
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 03:55
WestWind1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
again.... PPR is usually only at special airfields, not public ones. It is usually for the times outside of the published opening hours. If no opening hours are published, then it's PPR. During published opening hours, just fly there.

If a shopping mall is closed, their parking lot is often also closed.. it IS private property after all. If YOU own a lot, would you want people to just drive on it when they want or even park on it when THEY want? I doubt it. And that's the same with PPR fields! I have no problem with it.

PPR... you either call in advance by phone, or you fly and call in by radio. If they don't allow you to land (no matter what the reason, and enough reasons have already been listed here), then you fly back home or to your alternate.

Calling in advance allows someone to be there when you arrive, unlock the fuel pumps to serve you, give you advice on the conditions, etc. If you don't PPR then expect no one to be there to provide ANY services, including rescue.

Flying in Europe is different then in the States and cannot always be compared, and not just because of the regs. And yes, I have flown in the States (Southern Cal, even once to Catalina... if I remember right, the landing fees there were per person on board).