PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prior Permission Required
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 00:35
Genghis the Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji Abound
I guess, as with so many things, there is an ever increasing tendency to over regulate. Everyone must wear yellow jackets. Now they are wearing yellow jackets they had better wear yellow hats. You get the drift.

Sometimes it is right and proper that customers should say "enough"!

Yes, it is their air field, but, yes we are their customers. If we cease to be customers, so does the airfield cease to exit. If an airfield insisted on PPR by telephone for no good reason and we all agreed not to go there how long would the field survive?

If we all allow these things to get out of hand for no good reason yet another freedom will be lost. For me a freedom is to bimble sometimes, no plan in mind, to take the opportunity perhaps to drop into X, enjoy a cuppa, chat to another pilot and be on my way. Why - because at the time it seemed like a good idea, but it wasnt necessarily a good idea an hour or so before when I hadnt even set off.
Then don't go to those minority of airfields who want pre take-off PPR. They're probably quite small so there's nobody to talk to anyhow, and quite happy not to have visitors without sufficient airmanship and courtesy to phone and check it's okay to fly in.

You could go to Popham, where I know somebody who was ordered to remove his yellow jacket, because it made it look like he was trying to look official rather than just a visitor. And EGHP is only PPR to non-radio traffic. (Personally I do dislike mandatory hi viz inthe daytime, the need for which, I really do believe is completely unproven).

Simple!

G