PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prior Permission Required
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2011, 15:34
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if their insurance (or other legal issue) requires them to brief pilots on each and every occasion?
I don't think that is likely to be the case. In aviation, you have an airport, you have a pilot who is the Captain, and it is his decision what to do.

The airport has a duty to disclose (by publication via established aviation channels i.e. notams and the AIP) unusually dangerous things.

Are you looking at an insurance policy which stipulates PPR? If so, please post details.
I don't think it's fair to disregard the requirements of the owner or operator of an airfield just because I think they're being silly. It's their airfield, not mine.
Correct, on the basis it is their bouncy castle, but we remain entitled to take the micky, where appropriate.

Duxford got a bad reputation for their "phone-only PPR" policy (which I witnessed first hand) and stopped it, a couple of years ago. They lost a lot of business in the meantime.

I have obtained PPR hundreds of times and at least 99% of the time there is no safety-relevant briefing involved. It's just a formality. They may as well knock up a website where you enter your details and it produces a PPR number And the ATCO has a red button which he presses when somebody crashes on the runway and blocks it, and the button disconnects mains power from the server

Bournemouth could sell PPR numbers for £20 a pop, payable by CC or (hey this is really adventurous) by Paypal. Think of the manpower which would be saved - 1 person at Bournemouth, and 1 person at the accounts office at East Midlands.