PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prior Permission Required
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2011, 06:35
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not try it at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted. Then report back here and tell us how you got on
No thank you, I can't afford it...But two things. A friend of mine did it in a King Air. It was a medical flight and their destination was fogged and and after trying everywhere else they decided to go into LHR. It was just a call to ATC and that was it. I am sure they paid for the privilege of course, but that wasn't their concern.

Secondly I have done it into LAX in the USA. Just requested IFR clearance into 25L at LAX and that was it. Paid $20 for the privilege at the FBO. If you have a helicopter, you can just fly VFR and land on the roof of the international terminal (for free I believe).

Catalina charges $20 landing fee but you still don't need PPR, you just rock up and tell them you're going to land. If you did call the man in the tower, he'd give you the "Of course you can land, it is an airport isn't it?" line Santa Monica collect landing fees if they feel like it....

Of course if it is a private strip you're landing on then manners dictate you phone up beforehand. But if it is an "airport" then why bother. If they have ATIS linked to the phone (like Shoreham) I'll phone that first just to check the relevant info but wouldn't bother with PPR.....