PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prior Permission Required
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2011, 16:19
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, here goes - about to be shot down in flames!

I thought "PPR - what is that all about. Don't have it in the States and flying is good over there."

Now I own a small grass airfield.

What we don't have over here are "disclaimers". They have them in the States.

What we have here is a "duty of care".

Now, in many cases, what that duty is is not specified. In aviation, if you are a licensed airfield, there are some specs. Things like "twice daily runway inspection", etc. Even that may cause probelsm - think Paris and Concord.

If you are unlicensed - even if only for a tea break! - then other matters come in.

If you choose not to operate in the same manner as a "licensed field" then you may have to justify why.

If, like any hotel or pub car park, you want to restrict liability for, say, theft of a GPS from a parked aircraft while owner is off having lunch, then how do you do it?

My lawyers say, for a contract and conditions to be enforceable then the person must have a chance to refuse to enter the contract. That could be a bit difficult once they are on the ground and parked!

So I am now looking at PPR online. Quite simply, it will allow me to limit liability.

If people go online, accept the T&Cs, then we are happy for them to fly in. If they don't "self PPR", then they cannot complain.

Sorry about the way it is going in the UK (well, we operate under Scots law), but the alternative is to shut down.

And after last year's expereinces, I am not wanting to deal with insurance hassles ever again!