PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 31st Jan 2011, 11:32
Mesmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to have you here CCCP

Hi CCCP.

I disagree with your points of view so far, but it is good to have you here to debate our opinions.

You stated (sorry I don't know how to do the quote thing):
"BASSA were never going to negotiate any deal for the MF becuase they were and are, against the setting up of a entirely new fleet on new terms and conditions."

However, their offer to BA on the 10th March 2010 states:
There will be a new separate mixed flying fleet for new crew, with separate terms and conditions and sole bargaining rights for Unite.

So I believe you should retract your statement. But there is more: BASSA wanted the crew member put back on board, but BA had given out part time and VR, so there were not enough crew for that - they would have to recruit loads more crew. BASSA's solution was to put these crew into New Fleet, accelerating its growth tremendously (in appendix 1 of the same offer):
Unite accept that by BA removing impositions and recruiting, this will facilitate the launch of New Fleet. Equating to initially 700 heads and by increasing productivity

So, in their own words, BASSA's last offer to BA before the strikes would "facilitate the launch of New Fleet".

Personally, I was worried about the set up of New Fleet. I was happy to work harder on board, but I didn't want New Fleet set up in case my favourite routes went to them; this was one reason I left BASSA - any strike by crew would be striking in favour of BASSA's way of saving money.

Therefore: The strike was an attempt by BASSA to facilitate the launch of New Fleet with an immediate 700 new recruits - just to get that person back on board on existing fleets.

I would appreciate your (or anybody else's) thoughts on this.

M