PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 31st Jan 2011, 10:23
Snas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a long time now I have considered a Union (particularly one the size of Unite) as being a business. Litebulbs recently converted me into describing them as a Service Provider.

Now here we find ourselves with effectively two service providers competing for members, or shall we call them customers. All the usual tactics of business are being deployed from advertising one’s own brand to suggesting that of your rival is inferior.

For BASSA/Unite I suggest that they start to think more effectively along those lines. Each customer lost to a rival makes them weaker and the rival of course stronger in equal measure. There is nothing stopping BASA/Unite touting for business amongst MF employees also of course, they just need to make their brand / services attractive to them.

My partner has switched brands and whilst any benefit from doing so, at this early stage, is difficult to perceive she certainly doesn’t think that there is anything whatsoever to lose from taking her custom elsewhere, BASSA/Unite had moved so far from her position and were making it very clear that they didn’t want her as a customer anymore after all.

So Union’s - Welcome to the world of commerce.
First lesson – “Don’t alienate your customers”