PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat landings/PPL examiners
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 21:29
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thumpandgo

Anyway, the schools policy as dictated by CFI is 75knts so that is what we agree to do, (we can't do anything else really!)

Did he/she explain the reason for this?

One extra comment I would add though is, when the back wheels have kissed the runway don't forget in the euphoria to lower the nose gently to the ground before doing anything else!

Hmm, the nose wheel will find the runway on its own. You don't want to get into the habit of releasing back pressure, bad habit. One day I hope you will move on to tail draggers, where unthinkingly keeping the stick back in your belly during the roll out is essential. Same applies for warriors, is your instructor telling you to force the nose down?

Thank you for all your comments! and to Slim_slag for actually chartering a Warrior and trying this out!!

Well, I had to go somewhere at short notice with more weight than a super-cub could (legally) carry. It's a bank holiday weekend here, and all I could get on the day was a warrior. I had fun putzing around in the pattern, but they sure don't climb out well with passenger & camping gear, from an airport with density altitude of 8000ft. Almost off the perfomance chart

icg

Do not confuse approach speed with threashold speed, the two are different.

If you keep a nice tight pattern you don't have an "approach" as such. You certainly should not be doing "approach speed" on final if you are doing standard pattern work, IMO. Downwind is the only place for 75knts. If tower told me to perform a straight in approach, I'd slow down to 63 knots well before I got to the threshold, certainly over a mile out, so short final was properly stabilised. In this thread I was thinking of remaining in the pattern, sorry if I confused matters by inexact use of the word "approach".

cheers