PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker
Thread: Airtanker
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 14:28
Ken Scott

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
What is not really clear is wether the current RAF crews will be able to hack glass cockpits and modern systems were clockwork experience will count for nought.

The arogance of expecting to cope with the glass Tristars with no simulator gives an indication of how little the hurdle is understood.
Are you serious? Do all civvy pilots start on glass cockpit advanced light aircraft, or do they fly on dials & then convert? I flew clockwork C130Ks before converting to Js, it wasn't a big problem & the crews I train on the J OCU seem to cope once they've got used to it, but that's why there is a progressive training course to ease the crews into the new systems.

I could equally state some guff about how civvy crews won't be able to cope with the AAR environment & thinking in the tactical sphere when all they're used to is flying from A to B on a jetplan, but that would be (equally) crass as they'll just learn & get used to it.

This shouldn't be a Mil/ Civ p***ing contest, the crews will all have to work together. The Ts & Cs for the reservists is a much greater factor & will probably put off the experienced A330 operators AirTanker are hoping to attract in favour of less experienced, less desirable ones.