PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue A330 Jobs
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 07:38
onthillside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it, this always becomes an "us and them" debate with regards to VB and Voz?(not just on this forum) to help put a bit of light on on the subject..........

When i joined Voz as a CRFO i was given a co-pilot endorsement. I was told that i was bonded for 30 months. I was told that i may have to go to VB as a part of my carer progression but was also lead to believe there might be a chance of progressing within Voz. I like every other CRFO took a "chance" on my own fate. I could have rejected the offer and tried my luck with VB but at the time i thought Voz would suit me better.
After 2 years with Voz i was given the chance to go to VB as an FO as part of my carer progression. I had to pass an interview and sim check just like any other person off the street, with no special privileges.There were about 30 CRFO'S that went through the process and only about half were accepted. Times had changed for me and this now suited me(and the misses) better then Voz. I went onto the Ejet as did about 6 other CRFO'S and again we were bonded for 30 months. It was again a "chance" I accepted, as our seniority in the company(VB) had not been decided at that point. I have since found out that i am on the bottom of the list and did not keep my Voz start date as my seniority in VB, so my gamble here did not pay off. It is true that i have not paid for any endorsement and there are plenty of other threads about "paying for endorsement" and in this respect my gamble paid off and I am grateful for that. For the record i had the experience to apply to VB way back when they started, I didn't as i tried my luck elsewhere and thats another story.

A CRFO at Voz is on $60k approx so 2 years there gave me $120k, 2 endorsements $60k. Total for 2 years $180k.
FO at VB $80k approx(on Ejet) so 2 years $160k less $30k endorsement $130k.
So i guess i made $25k per year more then the person that joined VB when i joined Voz, not forgetting the VB pilot keeps the 2 years of seniority.
VB pilot may get command in 1 year or so then $150k approx so $380k in 3 years.
Me on FO wage for 3 years $270k (jumps up to $90k level 2)
So as my figures suggest....I am actually $60k worse off over 5 years even with my "free" endorsements then the person that joined VB when i joined Voz

These are the facts!

Now for my opinion........I have been an employee of the Virgin group for 2 1/2 years, its the same bloody group, be it VB or Voz we are all on the same team! Some of my gambles paid off some didn't, but i took a chance and i am now where i am. Stop complaining about where you are in life and how unfair it all is. Aviation is a Gamble at best and if someone takes a bigger gamble and it pays off then Good on them they have my blessings.

Very sorry for the thread drift but hopefully this will enlighten some and help keep the actual thread topics as the topic of future threads.