PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just looking for some advice-from Canada
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 01:25
Crazy_Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looking for some advice-from Canada

Hello all,

Rather new to this board, but I'm just looking for some advice from you folks. I will apologize in advance for the seemingly "silly" questions, as I live in Canada (as the title says) and I have relatively little knowledge of the European aviation system in general.

Currently I hold my CPL/MIFR and have a good job flying Metroliners as an FO in Canada. I have just over 400 hours (low time) and have age on my side. The dream for me has been to move accross the Atlantic to fly in Europe as a career, and recently I found out I am able to claim German citizenship, so naturally, I jumped at the chance.

I'm wondering how to get in to major companies in the EU, Lufthansa, Aer Lingus, Air France, BA, etc. Being a Canadian, I don't know much about the EU aviation system-I do know I need to do the JAA conversions on my licenses, but what is the ATPL requirements over there? In Canada it's 1500 hours Total, along with several provisions, and 21 years of age. Do you need ATPLs to get on at most companies, even as an FO? What is a typical hour requirement at the companies listed above?

I don't have a degree (do you need one to get on at most major companies over there? I know you don't here in Canada, but in the US for most majors you do), and I don't speak any language other than English, but have always wanted to learn another one, preferrably German.

Just wondering if anyone out there can pass down some information, advice, comments, to myself, it would really be much appreciated!

Thanks!
CC