PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you start your career?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2011, 11:16
lpmunroh43

How did you start your career

Left school and started work in a Royal Naval Armament Depot as an Apprentice Explosives Laboratory Technician ( I always wanted to work with things that went bang from around the age of 13!)

The Depot was scheduled for closing, at the age of 16, I was to young to be posted to another Depot - doom and gloom.

My cousin sold me the RAF Apprentice scheme so sat the exams and went to RAF Halton as a u/t Armament Fitter, so I learnt about weapons engineering as well as things that went bang.

24 years later, I left the RAF, but being a glutton for punishment, was commissioned into the RAFVR for a further seven years. Oh boy, the joy of having a 1250 in the wallet again.

The RAF educated me, 5 O levels plus an ONC, no worries. Did loan service with the RAAF and RNZAF. Managed to keep all me fingers intact while on a spell of Bomb Disposal in the Far East and then mega years later a large chunk of a pesky Harrier fell on me while serving in the Fatherland! No justice.

Following RAF/RAFVR service I worked for 10 years self-employed in financial services, 6 years in Security and 11 years as a self-employed gardener. Never unemployed, and despite having a jolly good time, as I grew older, kept an eye on pension plans etc. for the future (very important for youngsters today to get to grips with this.)

No 70 years young, I can't leap tall buildings anymore, but can still manage a bungalow with a following wind. Financially secure, real ale, fine wine, kool jazz and a raft of hobbies and travel keep me and 'er indoors occupied. No worries mate.

Good luck for your future, when you're 65 or whatever it'll be when you retire seems light years away, but careful financial planning now and throughout your working life can ensure a happy retirement then.

Alan Mudge The other half of lpmunroh43