PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 91 Year Old Spitfire Pilot Needs Your Help
Old 27th Jan 2011, 09:57
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just received an e-mail from one of the Directors of a Defence Company in New Zealand who specialize in UAV's. They have purchased a 90% scale size, all metal replica of a Spitfire. They hope to receive it in June & it will take about a year to build & paint it.

They will name the Spitfire "Constance Babington Smith" after the famous PRU Photo Interpreter, who discovered the V1 ramps at Peenemunde.

They are going to paint the aircraft in PRU colours & markings & have asked if I would find out from Alec what he felt his most significant Mission was & they will paint the same aircraft markings on their Spitfire.

I 'phoned Alec last night & he thought that being hit by flak over Brest was his most significant. I can't blame him, flying blind for 170NM not knowing if your engine would last out ! I have seen that enty in Alec's Log Book & have arranged to go over to his house so that we can identify what markings his Spitfire would have displayed.

What a fantastic thought that Alec's bravery will be remembered in this way. Thank you Hawkeye UAV NZ.