PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2011, 09:56
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Millions of Jobs!

So let's see. In the first article posted by 'nomoresteerage' Ryanair is creating three hundred jobs. In the second article posted by 'Manchester Kurt' it is six hundred jobs. And all for the *equivalent* number of rotations accounted for by one based B738. Wow, this job creation lark is easy ... I wonder why ministers find it such a struggle! [Yes, I know about the standard formulas which RYR always points to].

Based on this mathematics, I suppose Jet2 and Monarch employ most of the working-age population in NW England?

Whilst Madrid is a welcome gap-filler, it is a great concern that all the other new routes to be introduced by RYR fly head-to-head with MAN's most loyal based carriers. And it appears that future RYR expansion will concentrate on the Western Mediterranean sunshine routes. I wonder how many frequencies by MON / EZY / BMI / TOM / TCX / EXS etc. will be forfeited as a result of this development (and how many "millions" of jobs will be lost in consequence).

I am usually elated when I learn of a major new contract for Manchester Airport, but this one leaves a sense of foreboding. One does wonder whether MAG management were complicit* in persuading RYR to pitch in on core routes such as TFS, ALC and FAO rather than encouraging destinations such as Marseille and Bremen (as examples) which added something to the airport's portfolio last time round. What about incentivizing other gap-filler routes such as Polish destinations instead?

Good luck to all involved. I hope you know what you are doing, MAG ... the forthcoming spectacle smacks of blood-sport! Will our 'loyal' new best friend prove to be good for business in the long term?

SHED.

* Quote from Business Desk interview: "the management team led by new chief executive Charlie Cornish and managing director Andrew Harrison had worked with the airline on identifying specific routes and markets such as the Western Mediterranean."

Last edited by Shed-on-a-Pole; 27th Jan 2011 at 10:38.