PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan calls...
Thread: Ryan calls...
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2011, 09:56
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None of the FOs on my Type Rating course just over a year ago went to OAA, unless you count the OAA MCC course run by SAA in Stockholm. I haven't met any former OAA FOs since then either.

However, it's a big company so there may be entire bases in Southern Europe staffed by OAA graduates!

Moreover recruitment may have changed since I was called for an assessment back in April 2009. With FR being the only recruiter for a couple of years, graduates from the expensive integrated courses throughout Europe who would otherwise have joined BA, Easy, Thomas Cook, Flybe et al turned to RYR for a job.

On the assumption that these kids are better trained, RYR probably do favour them. Funny therefore that FR have taken a completely different view on DECs! These guys have been welcomed from all around the world despite showing an unwillingness to adhere to FR's strict SOPs and having somewhat unorthodox flying skills (in comparison to FR's straight-jacketed standards).

Incidentally, I was over 30 when I applied to FR and there were other guys over 30 on the course. More recently, all the cadets that have come through my base are in their early twenties. And I've only ever seen 4 female FOs and 1 female Captain in over a year on the line. There is a definite and unexplainable bias against women, but it is an Irish company and therefore such attitudes are stuck in the 1950s...

Also I didn't have first time passes on either the CPL or IR through the modular route at a UK FTO (partialled both) and still got an interview a month after finishing the MCC. It's a bit of a lottery I'm afraid.