PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryan Air and EZ Jet Looking!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2002, 09:02
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Flypuppy, those posts make good reading.

G-SPOTs Lost's post sums up my feelings entirely. Wannabes (the forum) seems to oriented more towards the airlines than the G/A side of commercial aviation, which probably explains how more people seem to be solely interested in jets for their first job. I may be wrong in my impression however that is what I have noticed!

Single pilot IFR time in a piston twin is one of the best foundations you can give yourself in your career. Flying into a remote Scottish airfield in the islands armed only with an NDB and a stopwatch will soon separate the sheep from the goats when it comes to a sim check for your next job, however as previously mentioned the single pilot environment places you in a position where you need to make command decisions from day one. If you can fly single pilot IFR then you can fly anything!!!

I have a relation of mine who is a firm believer that his first job in aviation (air taxi flying) has made him a better captain when ever he climbs into his 744 to nip across the pond. He once said to me that if faced with a medical emergency and having to dive into a remote airfield then his air taxi back ground would help him (and has done so in the past) immensely. Having to re-file flight plans, liaise with the company on the phone and deal with the local air port authorities are regarded as a normal day out when flying your piston twin in air taxi ops. I keep being told that I would be better off, cutting my teeth in the 'arse end' of aviation before moving onto something large. Nowadays I fully agree with those words!

Sorry for straying a bit off the FR/EZY topic!

MG

Last edited by Mister Geezer; 3rd Sep 2002 at 09:07.