PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 26th Jan 2011, 02:47
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a Union?

Baggers,

Everyone who works has some understanding of what business is. But who knows what a union is today? I have suggested it is no more than a service provider and I have been slapped down for that, because that opinion does not fit the political agenda of the more left leaning membership. They believe that it is still a movement to protect the working man against the filthy rich.

It is legislation from the 80's, caused by the 70's that has brought about this situation as you explained. Who is calling the shots? Without members there would be no union, but without a union, you have no collective bargaining rights and would be in a weaker position.

No amount of full time officer experience will be able to substitute that of a workplace rep, for knowledge of their own business. But it is also invaluable to have a full time officer to tell you when you have lost, because they see it day after day.

I don't know how many times I have reacted to news and disagreed with it, because I didn't want to hear it. The moment BA were willing to take a huge financial hit in excess of £150m, to take on a huge majority vote, then that was it. TW and DS no doubt saw this and got round the table to try and buffer the pain. These two old communist militant trouble makers and whatever else pprune would like to call them, saw this. But the news was just not acceptable, no matter how true.

And just think, is was all over some employees volunteering to leave.

You live and learn.