PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 26th Jan 2011, 01:48
baggersup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused, West Lakes. When the last strike kicked off, wasn't BASSA the only decision maker on beginning it, when it came to going out? Unite had completed final negotiationan and had an offer on the table to present to the membership, which BA said would stay on the table as long as the the strike did not commence. Giving members long enough to be consulted.

But (seemingly) behind Unite's back, McL and Holley called the strike and it began. BA then withdrew the offer as they'd threatened and the strikes went forward.

But did this happen only because Unite had voted and sanctioned the strike to begin, as some said the procedure is?

It is true, as I understand it, that a strike can only be called off and ended by BASSA. But given what happened before, it seems they can also kick it off without Unite's say so?

The reason I ask is that McL threatened Easter and Royal Wedding strike dates back in the fall. But now is saying that won't happen (reading between the lines in the news reports he was spanked by Milliband for that and changed his tune).

But if only BASSA have the say? Oy vey, mon dieu. Unite seemed not to be in the driving seat last time, so no matter what McL says....

Anybody?