PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabes and pilots, don't panic it will work out.
Old 21st Sep 2001, 17:48
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

BillyFish, I don't know your and Crash Barrier's history, as I don't read much in the wannabe forum. But I for one agree with Crash Barrier.

This can not be compared to any of the disasters of the past. The Gulf war ended and that was that. This will never end. Even the CEO of British Airways has been so... well you decide, as to say "What we've seen in New York, the terrible tragedy in New York, may just be the first step in a longer campaign" - i.e terrorist will continue to crash planes into buildings (why don't he start looking for a new job already? CNN). How do you think that will affect the passengers perception of the security??

Furthermore, it will probably be more expensive to fly because of increased costs for better security, increased fuel prices and aircraft insurances. We have neither yet seen what lawsuits may arise from the disaster.

Add to all of the above, the increased traveling times, uncomfortableness and the risk of being arrested if a "smart" remark accidently slips (people tend to say stupid things if asked over and over again what is in their bags - clever? Something that you should go to jail for for 6 month?).

I think that aviation industry is in for the downturn of the history. Sad to say. People will re-prioritise, and find other ways of communicating (webcam?), spend hollidays at home or take their cars etc. etc.

I think it's sound advice to people with pilot dreams, to wait to see the upturn happening, if ever. Take a PPL instead and enjoy leisure flying.

What might take an upturn could be business, taxi and charter flights. Only yourself and people from your company = no terrorists.