PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat landings/PPL examiners
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 23:49
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, bit disappointing today, lesson cancelled due to xwind gusting 17knts!

I'd be extremely disapointed. Max demonstrated crosswind component in a warrior is, believe it or not, 17knts!

You missed a great learning opportunity. I hope you don't get to see a crosswind like that for the first time when you are on your own. I assume your instructor is up to that sort of crosswind himself of course

PS I went and rented a warrior today, first time I'd flown one in six months. Tried coming in at 75knts over the threshold and floated halfway down the runway. Then I included the ASI in my scan up to the beginning of the flare, and booger me, I bounced it! Just goes to show your eyes should be outside and not inside when you are close to the ground (well, mine should be outside ). On my 63 knt approaches, which were very nice indeed, I was a maverick and reduced power to idle abeam the numbers and I did not stall, spin, crash or even - perish the thought - have to add power at any stage before landing.

I think it's smart to ensure a student can demonstrate a stabilised approach at +- 5 knts before solo. I also think a student should be able to fly the pattern/circuit with the airspeed indicator covered (and be +- 5knts of all appropriate airspeeds) before he gets signed off for checkride. Well, that's what I used to do, but I have these ideas from the old days. I wonder how people ever learned how fly back then Not everybody wants to be an airline pilot, and students should understand pitch attitude before they understand the ASI.