PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabes and pilots, don't panic it will work out.
Old 20th Sep 2001, 18:24
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that if you study my, IFR's and WWW's posts you will see that we are all saying the same thing. There might be slight differences of emphasis, but not in the basic message. That is, if you haven't got it already: times are going to be very tough for a while. The length of the downturn might be 6 months, it might be 3 years. Who knows? But if you have the flexibility to delay the start of your integrated training, then you might like to consider doing so.
Those who have no choice but to enter the jobs market now or soon, you will be up against people like me for those jobs, at least for a while. I have 25 years in the flying business and over 9000 hours. I also have 20+ years flying still in me. There will be 300 others with varying amounts of serious jet experience in this market also out there. If anyone is recruiting within the next 12 months (and they will be, sooner or later), these 300 or more will be top of the list. Those of you with 200 hours and an fATPL are not going to be well-placed for a while.
But things will improve. Some of the redundant pilots will leave the business - there will be a fair few who are near retirement anyway. Some of the less strong-willed amongst the wannabes will also give up; this is just a fact of life. I would bet that the subsequent upturn in aviation will be as strong and almost as rapid as this downturn, but the question is when it will happen? Who knows.
At the end of the day, this is such an unusual situation that no-one has many answers we can rely on. It's a good time to wait for a while. However, if you've got a few bob you can spare (don't use your CDL!), you could do worse than buy BA shares at £1.40-odd. There are fortunes going to be made when they recover!