PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 24th Jan 2011, 20:05
Rhayader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After being invoved in a serious incident on a flight recently she recieved a call from her manager checking that she was ok and offering various services and support. I know some crew would accuse that manager of harressing them at home by phoning..!
Well, I am afraid the offended crew are nothing but muppets. After a serious, distressing incident there has to be a robust chain of care that is initiated by the management and followed through to both the employer and employees satisfaction.

One analogy from the railway industry is this: I have had two suicides under my train in about 14 years. After both incidents the chain of care kicked in at once. Relieved from duty and med-screened ASAP. (Interestingly, a robust chain of custody is in place to protect your samples here as well). Taken to hospital if required, reports taken if fit enough to do so and driven home. If your car is at work it is returned to your home address the same day. Counselling is offered and encouraged and you are gently eased back into driving going over the same route accompanied until you feel able to return to full duties.

This, IMHO, the minimum standard for employers and what unions should demand and encourage employees to take up.