PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - african VFR charts
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 17:04
V1... Ooops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bertos:

Here's a possible route for you, based on my experience a few weeks ago. You will have to do your own investigation to determine whether or not AVGAS is available at all the airports listed.

The route is pretty simple: From Brindisi, to Iraklion, to Jordan, then to Saudi, then Djibouti, then Wajir, then Mombasa.

This keeps you out of Egypt (expensive and it can be a frustrating place), and you require fewer overflight permits down the east side of the Red Sea than you would down the west side.

If the legs from Jordan to Jeddah and Jeddah to Djibouti are a bit too long for you (I had 10 knot headwinds when I flew down the Red Sea), just pick two places to land in Saudi, instead of just one.

The Saudi controllers are pretty easy to work with, a lot of them are expatriate Americans.

Hope this helps, but like I said, I have no idea what the AVGAS situation is like at any of these places, and you will have to do your own investigations about overflight permits, etc. This especially includes Wajir - I have no idea if that is an airport of entry or not, and I have no idea if they have AVGAS or not.

If Wajir has no AVGAS or is not an airport of entry, you could always go to Addis, then enter Kenya at Lokichokio (way up in the north-west corner, about where the 'e' is in the label "Lake Turkana"). I doubt that Loki has AVGAS, but I know it is an airport of entry, and you could certainly get automobile gasoline there.

I am sure other forum members who are familiar with some of these places will be able to provide additional guidance and suggestions.

Michael

A Possible Route