PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 20:04
BASSAwitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go. Someone with the sense to stop this freight train before it falls over the cliff;

Originally Posted by Wallie Wilsh
I believe Mr Holley is part of our problem. I have no doubt that he was a good representative of cabin crew, when he was cabin crew. But he is now playing politics and playing fast and loose with my/our future.

I equally believe that Mt Walsh is a manipulative and dangerous man, who is hell bent on destroying bassa as the main collective bargaining group for cabin crew.

And here is the nub, Mr Holley, in his rage, is doing the same thing. BA state that there are c13500 cabin crew employed by the company. Bassa state that 5751 cabin crew voted for industrial action, and Mr Holley states that those 5751 cabin crew are the only ones he wants in 'his' union. Bear in mind that collective representation is only a legal requirement when an employee group’s representation reaches 40% of employees; Mr Holley’s ideal is to have a collective mandate reduced to a mere 43%. And also bear in mind that only a non-unionised new fleet is growing. The so called ’legacy’ fleet is in decline from now on.

Instead of berating and disowning the 1579 cabin crew who voted no, or the 2885 who did not vote at all, Mr Holley and the leadership of bassa should be looking to re-engage those crew. Despite the pro strike vote, the actual event will be less supported that it should. Within the 5751 votes are an amount of empty promises. BA know that. It was evident during the last strikes, and if it wasn’t it would not be talked about by bassa. There is a very strong vocal contingent who are very pro strike, but I would hazard a guess that there is an even greater majority of crew who are not so militant. I would hazard a guess that a majority of crew do not support Mr Walsh and his imposed reforms but neither do they support the concept of striking.

I’m one of those majority. I believe we must fight for our cause but I have so far voted no in all ballots. Striking does not achieve results other than a worsening of the situation. Striking has its use, but it is a final nuclear option. Bassa pushed the red button far too early, and the company survived and importantly won the support of both the press and the public. Compare our plight to that of Aer Lingus cabin crew. I live in Ireland, their press are at the least understanding, their pilots association, Ialpa, has donated 100,000 euros towards a hardship fund.

Here is a fact we should all understand, you cannot fight fire with fire. Mr Walsh is a poacher turned gamekeeper, he knows the rules, he knows the game. And he knows how to light the flame of rage amongst our union leadership and then sit back and watch the implosion, the unmeasured response. In the same manor that he has created rival camps within BA, he has engineered rival camps within bassa. Mr Holley keeps taking the bait. We have not collectively acted with intelligence, we have been lead with sound bites, and those of a differing view have been silenced or ridiculed, even by Mr Holley himself. Just what Mr Walsh wanted and needed.

Percentage support is one thing, real support is another. Mr Holley’s latest missive may be the last straw for me. I’ll take my time to decide. If he wants to play politics I suggest he goes away and plays them, if he wants to build a sturdy opposition to Mr Walsh I suggest he stops playing to the vocal minority and starts reconsidering how to play this battle and how to re-engage an ever depleting membership. My initial view is that I will stay with bassa, because bassa is bigger than Mr Holley et al and will, hopefully, still be around when Mr Holley et al have moved onto other things. To ensure that though I suggest a change of tone at the very least.

Another change I would suggest is that we stop allowing decisions to be made by a vocal minority who attend union meetings in place of those who cannot or fear going along. The no negotiation vote registered by a show of hands has no served us well, indeed it has played directly against us and is often thrown back at us without a challenge. But this is a matter for another day.
I regret that 5751 cabin crew will not stike should it come to it.
I also regret that I have made it to prune, (not an ambition), but I guess it shows how words and soundbites can be used against you.

I am annoyed with my bassa leadership. I believe that they have acted in good faith but we are getting no where at present, apart from increasing bitterness towards each other. And Mr Holley's latest missive merely furthers the divide. Divide and conquer - Walsh's strategy which we all understand anmd cannot abide. Yet here is our branch secretary doing exactly the same, inadvertently (I suggest) doing Walsh's dirty work.

May I ask what the unprededented attack against us actually is? I suggest that it is now about the casualties of a strike against what possible could have happened to us, which is why I voted against strike 1. This possible strike has much more legitimacy but should never have been necessary. What will it achieve, the restoration of staff travel a year earlier than Walsh proposes, the ceasing of mixed fleet.

I'm not against striking per se but I believe we haven't reached the point whereby it is the only remaining option. The issues must be lifechanging. You may argue that what may happen is without doubt lifechanging, but the key word is may. Legally we cannot strike about what may happen and a secure future is more important to me than the return of staff travel which I probably couldn't afford now anyway.
So, why do anything. BA is back in profit, Walsh has committed to a new renumeration package worth £4m, there is talk of bonuses to be paid to all staff and IFCE has made the required £127m savings. To say the least.

However, with such a backdrop of positive news what will Walsh/Williams do next. I suggest we wait and see, rather than take an aggresive stance towards the company. As matters stand the justification to impose a change of contract is rapidly disappearing. We are no longer in a fight for survival, we are looking to purchase 12 additional carriers.
And then the usual from Dear Leader;

Moscow Man

Your post is very relevant and I am glad you made it.
With the greatest of respectI believe you to be in a massive minority.
i.e. you are someone who voted no, but who is prepared to follow the majority vote. I genuinely salute you I really do, that takes balls. My message is certainly not aimed at you and I sincerely wish - even though I don't agree with the way you voted - that you remain within BASSA, and the debate continues.

If there are others like you then my message could be deemed inappropriate and I would apologise, but unfortunately I do think sadly you are very much on your own. However I will apologise to you unreservedly.
I am sorry - my message was not aimed at people like you, in fact I just wish there were more like you among the No voters.

And Wallie Wilsh - I would have far more respect for you if you had the strike record of MM. He deserves respect, you my friend are just stirring the pot. My message was very much aimed at you. I would wager you haven't spent more than a nano second wondering whether to support your union or your colleagues.

Finally Benny Hill - to accuse me of splitting the union is very hurtful. There is a time for tough talking. That time has now arrived. I don't give a flying fig about getting sacked but when i see the likes of an innocent rep like NXXXX MXXXXX, single Mum and all that, getting dismissed for representing crew then sorry, I see no point in holding back. Sorry my gloves are off.
Nice touch that Dunc, sending a shout out to all single mothers. What next cancer sufferers and the disabled? And this is the leader of this dispute. Got to feel sorry for BA management really.