PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 10:16
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One would think that it is up to the people affected by the required savings to decide whether there is a legitimate argument for industrial action.
Furthermore,as I've said before over the past 13 years Bassa have made significant concessions.In real value over the past 14 years, CC salary have significantly decreased and conditions have eroded.This has given the company a significant advantage against their European competitors.
IB,AF,UA,CO c/c earn more and often work less than BA crew. Yet we are constantly compared with EZ jet (same earnings as BA post 97 crew) Ryan air, VS and the middle eastern airlines.Personally I think Unite has a very valid argument, and really struggle to comprehend why colleagues from other department would want to get involved.
I wonder if the loaders called for industrial action, would you feel as comfortable getting involved in a dispute that is not yours?
Who do you think other departments get 'compared' to? In 'real' terms the value of CC hasn't changed as much as many in BASSA would believe it. The savings per department, if you wish to go back and have a look, were calculated on what the company felt the departmental overheads were. Oddly enough IFcE came out with a large overhead calculated by the fact that, in real terms, verses competitiors the average wage bill was too high. Why, when other departments had rationalised block payments into an hourly rate, couldn't the CC do the same? Oh, hang on, it would mean that those at the top, the same who sit on the BASSA board, those who can 'pick and choose' destination would lose a bit and those who had just joined would benefit.

IB,AF,UA,CO earn more and do less? Do you, per chance, have figures to back up that statement? I just wonder as I have former colleagues of mine flying for some of those companies and I can assure you that the working conditions, renumeration and hours are not as good as those you enjoy. If BASSA are so confident that BA are 'shafting' their workforce why don't BASSA emplore BA to benchmark CC T's& C's against those carriers? I think you would be in for a shock, especially against AF, UA and CO etc who have dastically changed since mergers, Governmental underpinning required change.

There has been no undermining your legal right to take IA. Where has this happened? Supporting the company against ill advised and idiotic strike action in order to protect my future employment? Yep. Just because I don't agree with what BASSA are doing doesn't mean that we have to accept the lunacy of the BASSA IA. I'm not in BASSA, not associated to BASSA nor affiliated to BASSA. Thus, if the company asks me if I wish to volunteers to keep our passengers flying during a lunatic Union driven, ill thought out, un necessary strike thus potentially protecting my job into the future then it is my business, becomes my business and has everything to do with me.

Lastly Aer Lingus pilots (ialpa) have collected 100 000€ to support their suspended cabin crew colleague who have been suspended for working to rule.
They have a totally different situation perhaps?

Had BASSA a valid argument, one that was comprehensible to all, one that didn't change every time Heathrow changed runway then I would support the validity of IA. They don't, I don't.