PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 21st Jan 2011, 20:25
baggersup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's interesting, Diplome.

It got me thinking about who we might be meeting when we are on WW (my major routes, not so much Europe or Gatwick.)

How many CC are WorldWide? We know that Gatwick has been supportive of BA, so it is likely that they were not a large part of this yes vote of 5700+.

If there are, say, 9000 that make up WW fleet (just a number for discussion here), then a cabin crew member we meet on board might have more than a 50 percent chance of being one who voted for this mess.

The point being we pax might be more likely to meet a "militant" on a WW route than anywhere else. The chance perhaps being higher?

My recent flights seemed to bear out the notion of how inconsistent WW can be due to perhaps the CSD or the crew they are trying to lead.

The flight ex-IAD was just vague and disconnected crew, obviously going through the motions, disappeared for the entire flight after the meal service until the last 1.5 hours for the next light meal. Never heard from the CSD except at the first when he announced rather haughtily, "my cabin crew and I will be taking you to London today." Really? Nobody in the cockpit then? Gee, that's a worry. Then after that two other female cabin crew made the required announcements, until he made a very short one minutes before landing. I never saw him during the flight (I was in CW).

Then on the way back, a superb, friendly attitude, crew regularly coming through the CW cabin to just check discreetly if we needed anything. Several drinks top ups during lunch, etc.

The CSD worked the cabin and was a very charming woman who projected a great deal of aplomb and gracious authority. Her crew were upbeat and friendly and ready to make a charming comment. They couldn't take our coats fast enough upon boarding. A male crew member even rushed over to help a rather short passenger across the aisle from me I was trying to assist in getting her modest carryon into the overhead.

I thanked the CSD when I passed by her in the luggage retrieval area for a wonderful flight. It just seemed that the crew probably responded to her very gracious and authoritative demeanor and performed accordingly. But who knows.

Fortunately, it was one of the many flights during which I was asked to fill out one of those onboard surveys, so was able to give credit where credit was due on all accounts. And included her name in the written comments section as hers being one of the best flights with BA in a long while.

I have no idea why the outbound flight was the way it was, nor the inbound flight. But it just points out BA's issues with inconsistency on board. If that was the CSD's role in making it superb, then they clearly need some new CSDs among the ranks who may not be performing either for militant reasons as they try passisve resistence on board in order to harm their employer, or just that they are no longer interested in good performance for themselves.

But one always wonders now if a poor on board experience just MIGHT be part of the militant issues...

The strike saga just gets some of us pax pondering these things, as the on board inconsistencies seem to have accelerated in the past two years or so.