PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 21st Jan 2011, 19:04
Caribbean Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message from Willie Walsh

Unite has informed us that the cabin crew ballot has resulted in a vote in favour of strike action among the union's crew members.

However, it is clear from the result that Unite does not have the support of the majority of our cabin crew. Of our 13,500 crew, only 43 per cent voted in favour of strike action in this ballot.

Unite has lost about 2,500 cabin crew members since this dispute started, as crew have voted with their feet. Even with a smaller membership, the proportion of Unite members supporting disruption continues to fall, contrary to the union's claims.

We urge Unite to return to the deal we negotiated, which guarantees pay rises for the next two years and secures terms and conditions for our existing crew that are the best in the UK industry.

Tony Woodley shook hands on this deal in October. Unite said it would recommend it to members, but then reneged on its promise. This U-turn reflected the union’s deep-seated internal divisions, especially its dysfunctional relationship with its crew branch, BASSA.

It is time for Unite to listen to the majority of crew and to its members in other parts of the airline, who want an end to this dispute.

Unite has not announced whether, or when, it plans to take industrial action. However, here is how you can help.

Volunteering

Due to the tremendous support and effort you showed during the previous strikes, we were able to keep our flag flying and support our customers and our cabin crew colleagues who came to work.

The response we received across the airline was fantastic, with every department volunteering to Back BA in the air and on the ground.

Backing BA – in the air

We have launched the chance for more colleagues to train and work alongside cabin crew. You will need permission from your line manager before applying via the homepage of the intranet.

Customer Support Programme

We would also need volunteers for a number of other key roles to support our customers and colleagues on the ground. Last time, the response was overwhelming with over 8,500 shifts covered during the period of disruption.

When we know the details of any strike action, there will be a wealth of information on the intranet to help you choose which role would be right for you, and again, you should speak with your manager before you volunteer.

In the meantime, volunteers are advised to make sure their details are up to date in the CSP booking tool.

My role

As you know, Keith Williams takes over as BA chief executive at midnight tonight and I will be moving to head up International Airlines Group (IAG).

Talks with Unite on cabin crew issues have been taking place for almost two years and during that time I have assisted our industrial relations team. I will continue to be available.

Thank you for your support.