PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Series 400 Twin Otter at HKNW Wednesday night (Jan 12)
Old 21st Jan 2011, 15:21
V1... Ooops

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Van Der
...PRUNE has the words RUMOUR NETWORK in it, Get it?
Yes, that is true, but I sign my posts and most folks here know where I work - including you - so, what I write is not rumour, I confine myself to factual posts precisely because I don't post anonymously.

SN 845 (the first Series 400 aircraft) was delivered to the customer in July 2010. I made the delivery flight. Viking was granted the Type Certificate for the Series 400 in July (the official presentation of the Canadian Type Certificate was in fact made at the Farnborough show). Because additional type certificates issued by other agencies (for example, EASA) normally are granted after the type certificate is issued by the State of Design - in this case, Canada - there was a waiting period between the issue of the Canadian Type Certificate and the EASA type certificate. The EASA type certificate has since been granted, and both the first and second production aircraft now have complete C of A's issued by their country of registry.

New aircraft (with the sole exception of aircraft sold to Canadian customers) are always delivered with a Canadian Export C of A because the country of first registration is always Canada (we have to register the aircraft here to test fly it during the production process). Normally, the aircraft is ferried to the customer with temporary Canadian registration marks on it, then transferred to the customer's State of Registry when it arrives. It is possible for a customer to transfer it to their State of Registry at the moment they pick up a new plane from the factory, but they usually don't do that because it would be expensive - they would have to fly AMEs and regulators to Canada to transfer the registration. So, to avoid all that expense, we normally deliver the plane with Canadian temporary registration marks (manufacturer's registration marks) and an Export C of A, and the customer then re-registers the plane once it arrives in their country.

Michael