PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Managing time critical checklists!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2011, 17:44
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A380 Jockey;

I will share a similar experience in hopes of providing perspective on what shouldn't be felt as a "disappointing" comment. I certainly understand the feeling - let me explain why.

We were being checked by a government ministry check pilot recently qualified on the A320 and the ride was being run by a designated company check pilot.

We were going through a drill, engine fire or hydraulic failure as I recall and executing the ECAM drills and reviewing the STATUS pages as per the books.

One of the comments at the end of the ride was, "too much talking during the ECAM action drills...I want a 'curtain' drawn down between you two so that one flies the airplane and one does the drill".

Our 'talking' during the drills was the CM2's confirmation with CM1 that he wished the APU started (due loss of one generator)...confirmation that it was to be a Config FULL landing, (calculations for landing distance application) and full review and confirmation of understanding of all STATUS items. In other words...SOPs.

We were confused, angry and certainly disappointed because that's what went on the report. That the SOPs were thus and we had been trained, (very well) in them and had had fine reports on previous rides doing the same thing did not alleviate the feeling that we'd not done well on the ride.

I did respond, in writing, to our Chief Pilot and the Ministry. I learned in discussion with others that our experience was not unique with this particular inspector. The ride was thankfully viewed "in historical perspective" but even then it was still not easy to forget.

We are examined as no other profession. We submit the validity of our licence to medical and standards checks essentially every six months. If either hiccup, we cannot work and must fix whatever the problem was before we can practise our craft again. No other profession is as stringent. Sensitivity to what is understood as unjustified criticism (vice a "suggestion") when we are our own severest critics, is both a fact of the profession and a result of setting extremely high personal standards.

We pride ourselves in achieving and problem-solving, and it is more than "ego". It is our "service to our passengers" which I believe is primary behind this standard. In this high standard I suspect the medical profession is the same, although in many other aspects the disimilarities between aviation and medicine are topics of concern, discussed elsewhere.

When our personal standards are placed under such scrutiny, even the most minor comment can be disappointing if truly unwarranted. In my view, as a 35-year retiree off the A330/A340, your standard of "taking the necessary time" is absolutely spot on; it is no time to rush a drill or a checklist or an ECAM action process.

The Airbus has designed the ECAM process such that it requires completion. One can get into a lot of trouble if, while rushing, some steps are missed.

Recalling the drill again to find out why something went off the rails is worse and less safe than completing the drill deliberately and at a pace commensurate with all cockpit crew members' comfort.

If one needs to get the airplane on the ground, that is an airmanship call, not an ECAM or Airbus requirement, (a red Land ASAP contemplates that the drills are still completed), and a check pilot's need for you to increase the pace requires a discussion after the session on "why?"

FWIW

PJ2