PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on opportunity. What do YOU think?
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 10:17
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
To be honest, I feel that you shouldn't do it.
By all means get the PPL. You can do a lot of private flying with 50K.
You are justifiably concerned about affecting your lifestyle and family. Fair enough. However, for the first couple of years in this industry you will not earn much money. You will be lucky to be earning 20K/year. This assumes you get a flying job after the course. Is this enough to keep the family happy?
Have a look at the companies based at Fraggle Rock and ask about their minimum hours required and pay scales. This will give you a very clear idea if it is feasable.
Just because an operator is based or has bases at Fraggle Rock doesn't mean they will be there in 2-5 years time. Have a read in this site and you'll see many bases in remotish areas being closed. Don't fall for "I'll cross that bridge when it happens". Sit down now and discuss it with your wife.
Write it all down and then make a decision.
Sounds tough and harsh but as a captain, that is your job.
It sounds like you have taken the rose tinted glasses off. Keep them off.
If you do decide to do it. In your situation, I would go modular. Minimises your risk. Do the medicals etc and get a PPL. Do the ATPL theory distance learning so you can keep working. You are looking at finishing 2-3 years from now.
Remember this, the industry is cyclical by nature and extremely sensitive to world economic events. Every 10 years it cycles from boom to bust.