PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why so few girls ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 08:51
sally at pprune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its extraordinary how, on an anonymous forum like this, otherwise normal people jump to conclusions about people based on little or no evidence and resort to personal comment about people they do not know. There must be an analogy with the psychology of road rage; isolated from social norms by the metal and glass cocoon, or in this case the PC and telephone line.

Stargazer, you flatter yourself. The only person I have to prove anything to is myself. Although, as Scroggs describes above its impossible to not to be influenced by the enthusiasm for flying of a parent. Does that make him a Daddy’s boy?

You know what’s really sad about this thread? It’s absolutely clear that prejudice is endemic in the piloting profession. And not just gender prejudice, although I don’t want to open that debate. It doesn’t take much reading of passionate contributions from Whirlybird and others here, and on other treads, to realise that these are not wilting lilies, stroppy feminists or otherwise PC motivated; they are (or were) just wannabes who would like to be treated just like everyone else. Even behind the forums’ anonymity, I doubt we’re going to get contributions from the prejudiced. I suspect that the (hopefully) majority are pretty ashamed to be associated with the views of those described in Whirlybird’s post. And this from a profession that is so proud of its progress in team-working/CRM and all that.