PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat landings/PPL examiners
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 08:35
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumpango,

I hope all the good advice here helps your landings today! I think it's great that you're so aware of what's going on so early on. Many instructors I've spoken to have told me that they never really understood how to land an aeroplane until they did their CPL - as long as you can land safely, you'll pass your skills test. But accident statistics seem to show that if "safely" includes not wrecking your nose-gear, then it's important to learn to flare properly!

Personally, I didn't learn to flare until I did a tail-dragger check-out. You'd better flare properly in a tail-dragger if you're doing a 3-point landing, or else you'll be going straight back up into the air after the main wheels touch, far worse than any bounce you've experienced in a tricycle! If you really want to learn to fly properly, get yourself a few lessons in something with a tail-wheel - the skills you'll learn will transfer straight back onto the Warrior, and your landings will be so much better you'll wonder how you managed before!

Apart from that, though, just follow the advice on this thread, and you'll be fine. It takes a while to learn when to pull the yoke back, and how fast. Stick with it. Keep being critical of your landings, but not so critical you ruin the enjoyment, and you'll get there soon!

FFF
----------------