PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much fast air to support 1) a Brigade, 2) a Division
Old 19th Jan 2011, 22:47
Clockwork Mouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I am like like the single-service focussed soldier who is the current CDS and who apparently believes in a boots-and-bayonet centric strategy. However, as a veteran of 34 years military experience and several staff colleges, not all of them British, I think I will stick to my guns on this.

Of course air defence of the homeland must be assured. However, the REALISTIC threat is minimal and easily countered. It is the least likely capability of them all to be put to the test for real, and I don't accept intercepting the odd Russian recce aircraft as a real test. It is also the only one that has not been put to the test since WW2. Therefore to limit all the shiny new Typhoons we are getting to a single AD capability, which is apparently now the case, defies reason and perhaps says something about the focus of the top brass in the RAF.

The defence of the Falklands would be far better assured by the threat posed by the existence of a quickly deployable carrier force with multi-role fast jets embarked than by a handful of land based AD Typhoons with little realistic prospect of support or reinforcement.

No. I'll go for carriers before, though not instead of please note, land based AD. But ISTAR comes first. The general who can see over the hill holds the initiative.

And by the way, the Argies had been threatening the Falklands for years, Saddam had been claiming Kuwait for ever and Hitler made no secret (though admittedly not in 1929) of his ambitions for Lebensraum in the East. Unfortunately the governments of the time chose to disregard the indicators. The fall of the Berlin wall came as a bit of a shock though.