PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When would you wrest control?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2011, 16:59
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Pilot Dars response. I have to say I have taken control on quite a few occasions but they are always where there is imminent serious danger.
Usually in any crew situation there is one more competant pilot than the other.
Naturally there are times when you can see a situation developing where pointing out the error will suffice but then there are times when you have to act fast.

One situation I had was riding right seat in a Seneca Five with an elderly experienced pilot in the left.
We were attempting a cloud break from IMC OCAS and I was checking the map for terrain heights etc.
I felt a G force stomach wrench and on looking up saw the AH almost vertical. I shouted a warning to level the wings as the VSI was fast on the way down too.
The bemused P1 who had totally confused himself on the AH indications went the wrong way and almost attempted to invert the twin.
I knocked his hands away from the controls levelled the wings and recovered from the dive all IMC on instruments.
So yes there are circumstances where you have to do something fast especially when you realise the pilot has lost the plot or has made a grave error.

I will also add we all make mistakes even the best and the other pilot should always be keeping half an eye on the handling pilot and point out an error before it develops.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 19th Jan 2011 at 17:21.