PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much fast air to support 1) a Brigade, 2) a Division
Old 19th Jan 2011, 14:19
andyy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By Clearedtoroll:

As an engineer whose closest contact with an enemy was a surprised sea lion on Sealion Island, I am definitely no expert on this war or the next. But humour me and suppose we wanted or felt we needed to intervene in somewhere like Somalia or Yemen. I hope we don't, but if we did, I think perhaps the aim of such an intervention might be to keep a lid on things without getting any more involved than we had to, much like NATO's limited involvement in Pakistan with Reaper etc. If we we going to do that then surely our aim has to be monitoring or taking out key people, communications and supply routes. Or something like that but I haven't read AP3000 recently... So we become the embuggerence factor to the bad guys and not the other way round. To do that is somewhere like Somalia or Yemen perhaps it would be nice to have:

1. Some good Int So keeping ASTOR might be useful in this scenario
2. A Navy to control the sea lanes & to provide logistic support, C3, the rotary assets "home", the "jumping off point" for SF etc, all without the need for HNS
3. Some good ISTAR (perhaps even some MR...) AGREED, inc UAV maybe
4. Persistent or fast air (ISTAR-integrated) to do what needs doing Doesn't need to be fast air, Reaper might be enough
5. Substantial SF to do the many bits air can never do
6. Some rotary and tac AT to support the SF
7. All the bits needed to support the above Yes, a full amphibious/ Carrier task group
8. A government with a clearly defined strategy Good grief, now your asking....

I can see more of a role for typhoon in this particular scenario than infantry.
I can't - Harrier, maybe! F/A-18, Rafale. You can't rely on HNS in this scenario

Of course, other scenarios will require adifferent asset mix!

Last edited by andyy; 19th Jan 2011 at 16:18.