PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 430 vs A109S
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2011, 12:11
yencopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bell 430 vs A109S

I have read through the http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/19740-bell-430-a.html thread and two comments in particular stood out:

Shawn Coyle-

I assume you would want to operate in Category A. One of the UK requirements is that you train and demonstrate Category A with your pilots.

Unless things have changed drastically, there is no way to do this in the real aircraft. The engines have 30" and 2 min One Engine Inoperative Ratings, and the certification rules require that these ratings only be used in a real emergency. Training does not constitute an emergency. Nearly every other helicopter with these ratings incorporates a training mode switch to make the FADEC simulate the engine failure condition. Not the Bell 430.

If you simulate engine failures by retarding a throttle you are doing two things - a) violating the flight manual limitations, and b) putting the engine into an area that will potentially cost you thousands of dollars per second of operation - the engines have very short life in the 30" rating (total of 2 to 4 minutes) before they have to be removed for overhaul.

And I don't believe the CAA has accepted the only Bell 430 simulator (in Fort Worth) for Category A training - could be wrong on this. So, you could buy the 430 but not be able to operate it in the UK.
Rotorrookie -

In the last few years, Bell Helicopter has received reports of main transmission generating metal particles. Subsequent transmission teardown revealed significant mechanical damage to the sungear and planetary pinion gears.

Several parts were received at Bell for evaluation but none of these parts revealed physical or material inconsistencies. Further investigation revealed that although the aircraft may be operating within the limits listed in the current flight manual, damage to the transmission planetary pinion gears and mating gears may occur due to excessive mast bending which causes planetary system misalignment.

This bulletin introduces a revision to the Flight Manual which includes a revised VNE airspeed limits decal. In addition, the manual also includes a revised restricted center of gravity envelope along with a secondary VNE airspeed limits decal. Airspeed limits listed on the secondary decal will apply for the duration of a flight whenever the aircraft is loaded with a C of G within the crosshatched area of the new restricted center of
gravity envelope.
Aside from these observations (of which further clarification would be appreciated) I am interested in receiving any thoughts/opinions about the comparison between a used 109S and a used 430.

Ops would be in Malaysia with OAT in the region of +25 degrees at an elevation of approx. 4,000ft amsl. It would be for PT and while the Malaysian civil aviation regulations may differ from the UK CAA I would still like to understand this issue about CAT A training and what, in practice, are the restrictions. Why can't this be performed on a SIM?

Any operational, cost and maintenance observations would also be appreciated.

The client is at present considering the 430 because of a) increased cabin space and b) he has been told (which I have affirmed) that Bell product support is more efficient than for Agusta.

Arigato.

¥