PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on opportunity. What do YOU think?
Old 1st Sep 2002, 20:15
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. Well, subject to your medical and that you have the required aptitude (I recommend taking the GAPAN aptitude tests before you lay out on the training), getting the fATPL should be just a matter of time, if the money is a given. But then what? There are very few jobs around at the moment, and unless there's a shock improvement in the UK/European economy - and no Gulf War 2 - I don't really see things improving rapidly over the next two or three years. So, whether you like it or not, you ARE taking a big risk. There is no well-trodden and all-but-guaranteed path to a RHS, regional or not.

Of course, I assume you will always have the option of resuming your current career, but you have to accept that your £50k could well be a lost investment, especially if you are not prepared to risk your family's living standards. I can obviously understand why, but there is something to the suggestion that those who are prepared to risk most will gain the most.

Anyway, read the thread below about Ryanair and EZ recruiting for some very good advice and information on the current state of the jobs market and the desperation of those currently trying to scale our particular career cliff.