PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat landings/PPL examiners
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 18:54
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helen

I have trouble pulling back gradually in the flare and this is possibly due to lack of strength.

If you trimmed for 63 knots on long final and set up for your stabilised approach, this would not be such a problem. If you trim on base, for 75 knots, and do not retrim, then you will definitely be fighting the trim tab as you described. Nothing to do with strength, there are plenty of weak people landing warriors perfectly.

Although I have never actually looked, I suspect you are flying at around 40-45kts IAS when you actually properly land a warrior. Thats a lot of force against the trim if the plane is set for 75knts IAS. (IAS not too accurate at high AOA of course) You should be in trim all the way down final. In some planes, light twins for instance, you may even be trimming in the roundout.

Wait until you fly something like a 182, if you are not trimmed properly on final in one of those, you will really be fighting to pull back in the flare. Learn how to fly properly and you will not have to relearn bad habits.

I never learned how to land properly until I flew a supercub. Even now I still screw it up.

Maybe it is so there is no way we will ever get near the stall on finals if we are a bit slack in maintaining the speed.

Well if that is the reason, it's a very bad one.