PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flat landings/PPL examiners
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2002, 16:26
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stabilise the approach speed at 75knts with full flap (flying school requires this).

As BEagle says, this is nuts.

I have been closing the throttle as I come over the numbers, I think I will try trickling the throttle off slightly earlier.

When you get round to flying proper planes you will go to idle abeam the numbers. Even in spam cans I always close the throttle when the landing is assured, which can be anywhere really, but that is considered an old-fashioned technique in these new and interesting times Your flying school really likes you to come in fast, it really is a very bad habit.

Yeh BEagle, you are right in that all these additions/subtractions to approach speed are unnecessary. If it's not gusty I just say 63 knots with full flaps - but it's noticeable how just an extra person can affect the flare. As for when you measure the speed, I use the threshold because that is when I last look at the panel. I have no idea what speed I am doing after that, my eyes are definitely outside. In fact, I might not look at the panel at all, pitch attitude tells the story. Sounds like your place has the right idea though.

If you really want to be an accomplished lander, master a taildragger beast.

Last edited by slim_slag; 1st Sep 2002 at 16:29.