PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Become a Pilot (BA Sponsership)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 09:33
UniformJuliet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Richard,

I'm training with BA at the moment. Here's the background of people on my course.

Age - Mainly 23-26. They do take people aged 18 to 20, but as someone said, you are up against people with life experience. The age limit by the way is 26 on application and 27 when starting.

Qualifications - Virtually everyone either has a degree or was in the middle of one when they applied. No particular subjects (the whole range from business to science). Maths and Physics to A-Level are definitely and advantage. In addition, most of us have worked for at least a year or two. Helps in a BA interview which is much more business-related and sadly lacking in questions on the types of engines on the BA fleet.

Private Licences - The majority of people had done a few hours flying and just under half the course have a PPL. It's obviously a lot of money to get one but it does show you are committed.

Attempts - Most of us got in on our second attempt. So no harm in trying to get in when you are 18. If you get in, then great. If you don't then go and have fun at university. Save up, get a PPL if you can and get a job. Then reapply and use the knowledge that you got the first time when going for it again. Given the current situation, waiting 5 years from now will do you no harm at all.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
UJ